Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Train Tickets, Hostel Reservations, and Bank of America Fiascos

After finally deciding between going to Rome and visiting my great Aunts and Uncles or going to Germany (specifically Munich) and Zurich (in Switzerland), I decided on Rome. So I went online and bought my train ticket last night, and after researching many hostels in Rome, I had picked out the ideal one. The train ticket confirmation email came, with me (supposedly) leaving this morning at 7:53 for Rome on a high speed train. I went downstairs to print it out, came back up, and when I tried to book the hostel, it said that my credit card had been frozen and that I needed to contact my bank. I thought it was just a glitch, so I tried again, and the same thing happened. Well, then I tried to book the return train ticket, and that didn't work either. I started to get worried, but decided that I would try in the morning, thinking they put a hold on the train ticket for a short period of time.

I woke up in the morning, went online, and tried again. I checked my balance, just to be sure, but I had plenty of money left on the card. But no, it still said that it was frozen. So then I panicked, and not realizing what time it was, I called my parents. My mom helped me through it, and after moving the train ticket to tomorrow at 7:53, using her credit card to pay for the hostel, and getting the fraud freeze taken off of the card (which, by the way, took 2 hours, because you can't exactly dial toll-free numbers from Italy, and the credit on my cell phone ran out from talking to my mom, and and and....it was horrible.).

What a great way to start off the month.

So, now I'm leaving for Rome tomorrow morning at 7:53, I have a hostel reserved, and I can use my card again in about two hours once California processes the info.

But the morning wasn't a total loss: you know how sometimes you have something important to ask someone, but you don't really know how to ask it? Well, that person asked me what I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, and now I feel so much better, finally coming down from the clouds and standing on solid, hard ground.

I'l post again when I get back!

Ciao!

No comments: