Monday, September 18, 2006

This Most Wonderful Teacher of the Second Grade

Freewriting: sitting down for 10 minutes and writing whatever comes to your mind at that time. There's only one rule to freewriting, and that is to never stop writing for that time period. Anything else goes. Here's what popped into my mind the other day during freewriting, and I thought it was something I could share, because we all have our own version of my second grade teacher in our lives.

There was a fire in stilled in me at a very young age
By this most wonderful teacher of the second grade.
She had shiny black hair, a warm, welcoming face,
All of the students loved her dearly and with well-deserved grace.
There was her method of teaching, her story times too;
A little lava lamp on her desk behind me, easily in view.
She taught us how to multiply, subtract and divide,
And about the unfortunate Abe Lincoln and just how he died.

Friday sing inspired me to join choir, and it was more fun with her at our side,
When she walked she looked graceful, with a rather unique stride.
After her as a teacher no-one else would do;
But with the fire growing ever stronger, I didn't have to worry about "who."
The fire helped with our illness in a way no doctor could,
It kept burning and burning as I'm sure she knew it would.

As I sit here today I remember my past,
All those years ago when I first sat in her class.
My friends all around me all remember her too,
How easy it is to place her in the category of the few.
If I meet her again I will thank her and hug her so tight,
For the gift of fire she gave us that melts away all fright.

No comments: