Monday, September 04, 2006

Picked up my books, went to church

I went to church at Il Duomo yesterday, and because I had missed the mass in English Saturday evening I went to the mass in Italian and basically muttered the English equivalent of what the priest was saying under my breath. I could understand everything here and there, but my Spanish failed to help me understand the homily, especially. Then today after my first class (which was amazing, by the way, and sounds like it's going to be really cool) I went into town to get my books from the English bookstore, and it ended up being about a block away from Il Duomo. I haven't gotten 4 of my books yet, but I was able to get 17 of them (I got everything I need for my classes for first semester). Here's the laundry list, if you're interested, or are curious and want to compare our books for freshman year:

The Story of Art - Gombrich
Oxford Study Bible - Oxford
St. Thomas Aquinas on Politics and Ethics - Aquinas
The Analects - Confucius
The Odyssey - Homer
The Inferno - Dante
Metamorphoses - Ovid
History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
The Politics - Aristotle
Confessions - Saint Augustine
The Koran
The Annals of Imperial Rome - Tacitus
The Lost Days of Socrates - Plato
The Republic - Plato
Gilgamesh - Stephen Mitchell
The Bacchae and Other Plays - Euripides
The Wasps/The Poet and the Women/The Frogs - Aristophanes
The Republic - The Laws - Cicero
La Pietra - Olivares
...and last but not least:
Tao Te Ching - Stephen Mitchell

Well, I have my Intensive Italian class at 6:00 pm (it's 4:31 pm right now) and we're going to go play volleyball at the campus net (If you haven't seen my pictures of the campus yet, just email me and I'll email you the link to the pics).

Oh, and I heard about Steve Irwin (or however you spell his name), and I think it's really ironic how he didn't die from a croc or an alligator, but instead from a sting ray. People seem to think that's funny, but I don't agree. Just thought I'd express that. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

No comments: