Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Inspiration can come at any time

"Well, I should probably head up to class...even though I'd love to stay and finish my coffee while we discuss hormones." I returned the spent cappuccino to the coffee bar that I get coffee at every monday and wednesday, and started up the stairs. I walked into the classroom, and the guest speaker, whom the only thing I knew about at the time was that he wrote the book, The Ha-Ha. I pulled up a chair and joined the semicircle of my classmates that had already formed around him.

The author, Dave King, introduced himself and gave a brief summary of his background and what inspired him to write the book, after the last few stragglers walked in. Then he proceeded to give a brief outline of the book, and as soon as he described the main character I was amazed - even though he is a fictional character, he sounded like a similar person to my dad (drafted into Vietnam, was blown up from a land mine, and it sounded to me as if he had PTSD).

Later came an intense Q&A session, and I immediately asked him if the main character did indeed have PTSD, and when he answered that although the term did not exist right after Vietnam, a modern psychiatrist would most likely diagnose him with the disorder. I was floored; from then on, I listened intently to every word he said. From what he was saying, namely that he went from doing something completely different form what he originally started doing, which was painting and art in college, he turned his life around, even though he was a successful businessman who had built up his business from scratch. One day, a friend called him and profoundly changed his mentality towards what he was doing with his life, and he decided to pursue his passion of creative (and specifically fictional) writing. He went back to grad school at Columbia, and graduated with his thesis, which was an early version of The Ha-Ha.

Then the selling point for me came when I asked him about how he went about publishing his work: he started publishing to literary magazines and to The New Yorker, and a literary agent saw him on the train who happened to hear a rumor about his New Yorker submissions. And BAM! His novel is now a nationwide bestseller. And that's what inspired me.

It really opened up my eyes and made me realize, I don't mind doing math, but I wouldn't want to do it 24/7...actually, who am I kidding, I hate math. I'm not bad at it by any means, but it just isn't for me. I know for sure that I want to major in Politics (specifically American politics), and eventually do law, but I was confused as to what I was going to have my second major in, or if I was going to even double major, or what I was going to minor in if I wasn't. I originally thought it would be Econ, but now because of today I changed my mind. I'm going to double minor, in pre-business and creative writing. Although I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to double minor with the credit limits that NYU has (they're really strict...you're only allowed to take 18 credits, which translates into three regular classes and a class that has a lab). Pre-business is a 9-class minor, and a creative writing minor is another 4 classes. For the Politics major, I have to take 10 more classes, for a total of 23 classes. I have 3 years to go, with 8 classes per year, so I might just make it. If not, I'll just take a class or two in creative writing and call it a day.

So randomly, I met this author from New York in Italy in one of my classes who probably profoundly changed my life - in the course of an hour. Inspiration can come at any time.

No comments: